It's been a while since my last blog post - there has been lots going on, but I realised how much I had missed posting my projects. So I have cleared the decks a little - well just enough to enable me to get some painting done and to be able to photograph as I go.I'm starting off the year with this chair - it's been hanging around for at least 2 years! I picked it up at a car boot sale for £3 - The fabric on the seat pad was pretty awful but I did get around to taking it off straight away and that's as far as I got with it. The rest of the chair was in good condition, although some of he surface lacquer was a little cracked and peeling, I like it when the surface is like this as the milk paint enhances the imperfections giving it an interesting patina.
I had an off cut/sample I was given of some beautiful Toile de Jouy in pale green and reddish/pink, so I decided to custom mix my Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint to create a a slightly lighter, toning pale green. Lucketts Green on it's own was a little too bluey - so after some experimenting I ended up with the following mix:
2 parts Linen, a half part Lucketts Green and a half part Mustard Seed Yellow - it's a rather lovely Pistachio colour, and is slightly paler than the background colour of the fabric.
I actually took these photos with my mobile phone and the colour has reproduced pretty much exactly how it looks, it's a very pretty colour. This project was just 2 quick coats of the custom mixed Milk Paint, a very light sanding when the paint was dry just giving a nice amount of distressing on the edges, a quick lick of hemp oil, covering the seat pad took longer than painting the chair!